_

_

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer Time: Ceiling Fan Direction

It's that time of the year where I Summer-ize my place.

I just put up my air conditioning unit and it surprisingly works fine right now!

And here I thought I was gonna have to go and get a new one this year.

Actually, I did try earlier in the week, but the Bed, Bath, and Beyond by where I work will not stock AC Units anymore.

Yep.

They'll order you one, but it's not like before when you can simply walk into the place, pick one out, and walk out with it.

And that's usually how I shop.

When I inquired "why" I was given a one word answer:

Theft.

Yep, again.

Apparently, there have been incidents when people simply walk into the store and literally run out with an AC Unit.

Shocked?

Nah...I ain't really.

Anyhoo...

Another thing I always do when I put up the air conditioner is to reverse the rotation of my ceiling fan.



In the Summer, in a room of normal height (8 - 10 ft) you should operate your fan so that it turns clockwise (this looks counterclockwise as you are looking up) causing a more directed downdraft, especially with the fan running slightly faster.



This will cause a wind-chill effect, however, the air is only moved but not cooled unless you have an air conditioner active as well.


So for me, this along with floor fans, is a good combination of keeping the place cool and breezy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment