_

_

Monday, June 21, 2010

Mazinkaiser



When I was a child, I had no idea what Anime was, but I liked it none the less. To me, they were just “other cartoons” such as Speed Racer, Prince Planet, and G-Force that came on around the more familiar programs such as Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, and Marvel Superheroes line up of what was scheduled for afternoon television.

I had no idea they were Japanese Anime that was not only dubbed but edited as well for content.

The same thing went for a number of live action English dubbed Japanese shows such as Ultraman, Spectreman and The Space Giants. My siblings and I were fans of those Giant Robots...along with Giant Monsters such as Godzilla and Gamera.

It's no wonder that one of my FAVORITE Christmas Gifts (so much so that I am still remembering it after all these years) was the Mazinga Action Figure from the Shogun Warriors line.







Now...over 30 years later, I recently saw that Mazinga is back...and improved! And with a new variation on his old name: Mazinkaiser!








It's like the 21st Century Update of my old 1970's Era Figure!

I did some research after learning about this new figure, and saw that there is a Mazinger as well, that came after my old Mazinga but before this new Mazinkaiser. And in between, there were variations called Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger. This Class of Mecha has been around for quite some time apparently!



I later learned that this figure was made from a Anime Series of the same name:
Mazinkaiser マジンカイザー, is an anime OVA series, inspired by Go Nagai's Mazinger Series. The OVA follows Kouji Kabuto, Tetsuya Tsurugi and the rest of the "Mazinger Team" as they fight against Dr. Hell's Mechanical Beasts.

An army of machines, led by Baron Ashura, defeats Kouji's Mazinger Z and Tetsuya's Great Mazinger. In the aftermath, Kouji stumbles upon a forgotten laboratory. Inside, he finds Mazinkaiser, the most powerful robot ever built. The series chronicles Kouji's experience with the machine as he copes with Kaiser's power while defeating Dr. Hell's forces.

The OVA's design is inspired by the original Mazinger Z manga from 1972, rather than Toei Animation's TV series. Mazinkaiser emulates Go Nagai's character designs and its operatic plot is supported by a "tongue-in-cheek" cynicism in regards to the gratuitous sex and violence.

There are Seven Episodes in this series, including one "movie" that will be released as a complete set on September 24th of this year. I'm not entirely sure if it will have English Subtitles though, but I will look into getting that DVD collection.

You can learn more about the series by clicking here.

Online though, I found some of "those places" *AHEM* that you can watch various episodes of this series.

Ya know...for sampling purposes, of course.

I managed to...erms, "borrow" one complete episode because and display it here for your viewing pleasure. Its NOT subtitled in English though, but you can still enjoy the visuals, and actually read along of you know a little Spanish.

This is Mazinkaiser Episode 4. Enjoy!




Watch Mazinkaiser OVA 4 "El plan para rescatar a sayaka" Sub Spanish in Animation  

No comments:

Post a Comment